Category Lead - #459415
Tilbury Douglas Construction is a leading UK building, infrastructure, engineering and fit-out company. We deliver vital projects across a range of sectors including health, education, highways, justice, defence, aviation, water and environment. We are headquartered in the UK and have a workforce of circa 1,200 highly experienced colleagues.
It is our people that make Tilbury Douglas Construction a success. We believe that our inclusive culture encourages new ways of thinking, enabling us to innovate whilst maintaining our resilience. We value and celebrate all individual differences and look forward to receiving your application.
We offer a competitive salary attached to this role and a variety of company benefits also. Please see the benefits section below.
You will develop and execute category strategies across the whole of Tilbury Douglas. You will deliver improved supplier performance and enhanced value along with the requirement to design and deliver new processes, governance, and rules of engagement around category management with both suppliers and our internal stakeholders.
Location: The location of the role can be flexible, but it is anticipated that there will be regular travel to one of the main offices in Birmingham, London, Castleford, Exeter or Wigan.
What you'll be doing
- In collaboration with the wider team, deliver best practice in category planning that engages stakeholders and can be applied across the business.
- Act as an ambassador for the Procurement and Supply Chain function with internal stakeholders and suppliers, supporting Operations in delivery of category objectives.
- Engage with stakeholders to ensure that the category plans align to key operational objectives and expectations.
- Provide specific category and strategic procurement support to projects
- Collaborating with clients and suppliers to drive added value and efficiency.
- Manage the day-to-day activities and performance of the category buyers.
- Set objectives for the buyers, ensuring that they receive appropriate guidance, training and development to achieve their potential.
- Support the development of the team capability and embed best practice in category planning to support the transition to Procurement excellence.
- Develop collaborative relationships with senior exec stakeholders and suppliers to ensure strategic and operational needs are fully understood and incorporated.
- Serve as the primary contact for your category and ensure alignment with BU and functional teams.
- Using the Tilbury Douglas strategic sourcing model put in place appropriate supply arrangements and lead all key supplier negotiations at category level.
- Assess, manage, and mitigate risks in the supply chain through contract implementation and SRM.
- Support supply base consolidation where appropriate, identifying new and innovative supplier development partnerships for consideration by the business
- Develop full market testing within each category to assess market rates and full contract life cycle improvement opportunities.
- Facilitate development of relationship with existing and potential suppliers (SRM)
- Develop rules of engagement to ensure category lead involvement in sourcing to realise the benefit from early supplier engagement.
- Put in place commodity and cost indices to support work winning and manage risk.
- Develop, implement and report on annual measures for supply chain improvement including regular category and supplier performance measures.
- Establish and manage future demand and capacity planning.
What we'll need from you
- Significant category management experience within a multi-site construction or related industry is essential
- Implementation of new category and procurement processes and practices within a greenfield environment would be advantageous
- People management and motivating a team within a matrix and/or remote environment
- Experience of the interiors categories preferred
- Desire to understand and promote the Company purpose, vision, values and culture
- Flexibility, resilience and the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels
- Self-starter who can prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines
- Highly collaborative, team player.
- Strong communication and stakeholder relationship management skills.
- Strategic, but also ‘hands on’ driving improvement by visible leadership
- Solid analytical and financial detail orientation.
- Highly computer literate
- MCIPS or working towards CIPS is preferred
What you can expect in return
- Competitive salary
- Car allowance
- 26 days annual leave (with the opportunity to buy or sell up to 3 days holiday)
- Private medical insurance for yourself (with the option to buy family cover)
- Life Assurance
- Defined contribution pension scheme matched up to 8%
- 2 days volunteering opportunities
- Flexible and Agile working (dependent on your role)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Professional membership fees
- Flexible Benefits scheme